Bulk Tequila Export

por Irais Arreola Irais Arreola | Dec 27, 2021 4:50:34 PM

export of bulk tequila casa sauza

One of the Mexican products with a higher demand and acceptance worldwide is tequila, estimates the Consejo Regulador del Tequila (CRT). In 2016, the volume of liters sent abroad were 197.9 millions in which just the 56.39% belonged to bottled tequila, and the remaining 43.66% to bulk tequila export.

Tequila and its Designation of Origin.

In accordance to the article 156 of the Industrial Tequila Law, the Designation of Origin is the name of certain geographic region of the country. This law is useful to designate a product originating therein, the quality and characteristics which are due exclusively to the geographic environment, including natural and human factors that surround the production process.

Several references exist since 1943, regarding the efforts coming from some of the regional industries to protect the name of "tequila" and obtain the exclusivity of its management and distribution.

If Tequila has a Designation of Origin, How is it possible to Export it in Bulk Quantities?

As we know, tequila is divided into 2 categories, according to the "Official Mexican Rule NOM-006-SCFI-2012, Alcoholic beverages-Tequila-Specifications":

  • 1.- "100% Agave Tequila"

Is the type of product that is not enriched with another kind of sugars, different from the ones extracted from Agave Azul Tequilana Weber, cultivated and bottled in the official plant, only authorized by the region involved in the Designation of Origin (Jalisco, Nayarit, Michoacán, Guanajuato, and Tamaulipas).

  • 2.- "Tequila"

It is the kind of product that can be enriched and mixed with other kinds of sugars, and even in a proportion not higher of 49% reduction sugars, this enrichment should not be done with sugars that come from any agave species. The rest 51%, has to come from the Agave Azul Tequilana Weber sugars.

This product can be bottled in other plants not registered by an Authorized Producer, as long as the employees in charge of bottling, meet the established conditions and quality regulations. Additionally, a co-responsibilty agreement must be presented to the Consejo Regulador del Tequila, signed by the bottler and the Tequila Authorized Producer approved by the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI).

The transportation of bulk tequila and its reception, have to be supervised by the Conformity Evaluator Organism, in which the product is registered officially. Bulk tequila can be sent in Iso-tanks (multimodal, whether by truck, seafreight and/or train), pipes, car-tanks, and via railroad transportation, in quantities up to 26,000 liters.

If you want to know more about the Casa Sauza's logistics and the principal challenges we face when talking about bulk tequila export, I invite you to read my next blog:

How can we Meet the Tequila Export Requirements?

Come and visit Casa Sauza and witness how the modernization of our tequila production processes deliver the purest tequila in the market.

Click here for more information on Casa Sauza Guided Tours

Lectura adicional